Ultra Fudgy Chocolate Fudge Cake
Chocolate fudge cake with rich chocolate buttercream frosting
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr 25 mins
Resting Time15 mins
Total Time2 hrs 10 mins
For the cake
- 250 g dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 250 g unsalted butter softened
- 250 g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the buttercream
- 200 g unsalted butter softened
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 200 g icing sugar
To make the cake:
Melt the chocolate, butter and sugar with 100ml water in a pan on a low heat. Remove from heat as soon as melted & smooth. Pour into a large mixing bowl, add the vanilla and leave to cool completely.
While the chocolate is cooling, preheat the oven to 180c/ 350f and grease 2 7″ cake tins. Once cooled beat in the eggs until the mixture is smooth and glossy. Then fold in the dry ingredients until fully combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the cake tins and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tins, before turning out onto a wire rack.
To make the frosting:
– Melt the chocolate (either in the microwave, or in a pan over a low heat), and leave to cool completely.
– Use an electric whisk to beat together the butter and icing sugar until super smooth and fluffy. Beat in the chocolate until you have a nice spreadable consistency. Put a thick layer of buttercream over one of the cakes, then sandwich over the other cake and top with the rest of the icing. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving.