A lovely lemon cake with cream cheese frosting.
Well after a little (almost 2 year!) break I had a massive urge to get back to this blog and to get creating some fresh new content.
Back in October 2019 I posted these delicious oreo brownies Â and then I’m not too sure what happened, other than I maybe wasn’t at my happiest and wasn’t feeling too inspired.
Hopefully this will be the first of many posts in 2021! I’m also planning to be a lot more active on my instagram.
I’m starting with this sweet little lemon cake.
This is a light and moist loaf cake made with some sunny lemons and using a simple pound cake style recipe.
It is topped with a classic drizzle topping (sugar and freshly squeezed lemon juice) giving it a gorgeous crunchy top.
And because I couldn’t stop at just a classic lemon drizzle on top of that, we have a way too delicious cream cheese frosting on top, swirled with a zesty lemon curd.
Lemon Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe:
- 225g unsalted butter,Â softened
- 225gÂ caster sugar
- 4Â eggs
- 225gÂ self-raising flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- generous pinch salt
- 1Â lemon,Â zested
drizzle topping –
- Â 60g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- Â 250g cream cheese
- Â juice of half a lemon
- Â zest of 2 lemons
- Â 625g of icing sugar
- generous pinch of salt
- approx 2 tbsp lemon curd (optional)
for the cake –
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ (160C fan)/ 350F / gas mark 4 & line a loaf tin with baking paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until super light and creamy, then add the eggs, and beat into the mixture until fluffy.
- Stir in the flour & salt until just combined, followed by the lemon zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until golden & a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven & mix together the lemon juice and caster sugar in a bowl or jug.
- Prick the top of the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle topping.
- Leave to cool completely in the tin, before removing to ice.
For the frosting:
- Beat together the butter & cream cheese until smooth and creamy, then stir in the lemon juice and salt.
- Gradually beat in the icing sugar until super smooth and fully combined.
- Dollop onto the cake and smooth over with a pallet knife.
- Optional – swirl in some lemon curd to the top for a little extra zesty flavour.
- cake recipe very slightly adapted from BBC Good Food